Mike is an internationally recognized defense and coverage attorney who routinely handles the spectrum of straightforward to catastrophic & complex mass tort matters involving the U.S, European, London, Bermuda/Offshore, and Asia-Pacific Markets.
With more than 30 years of experience at Severson & Werson, Mike chairs Severson & Werson’s Insurance Practice Group and serves on the Firm’s Executive Committee. He advises and represents domestic, European, London Market, Bermuda and Asia-based insurance and reinsurance companies as well as numerous syndicates at Lloyd’s, London, in primary and excess matters. Mike also specializes in the defense of insurers as well as their policyholders, coverage interpretation, claims management and representation of Underwriters in multiple lines, including property and casualty, professional liability, employment practices, energy, and product liability. Mike is also a practicing mediator and Superior Court appointed Special Master.
Mike is active in a number of professional organizations, including the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS), the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC), the Defense Research Institute (DRI), American Bar Association: Litigation and Tort and Insurance Practice Sections, State Bar of California, and the State Bar of Indiana. Fellow of the American Bar Association Foundation. Member of ABA Standing Committee on Lawyers Professional Liability.
Mike is rated “AV Preeminent” (“Highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards,”) in both the Bar Membership Peer Group and Judicial Sections of Martindale-Hubbell’s legal directory, and is a former Deputy Attorney General for the State of Indiana.
Areas of Practice
- University of Santa Clara School of Law, J.D., 1983
- University of Santa Clara, B.A., 1980
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Successfully Resolved Several of the Largest Legal Malpractice Claims in Recent Years
- Successfully Resolved Mass Tort Injury and Property Damage Claim on Behalf of Chemical Manufacturer
- Successfully Resolved Mass Tort Explosion-Related Claim Against Design Professional
- Successfully Resolved Class Action MDL Product Liability Claim
- Defended Large Natural Resource Damage Property Claim
- Successfully Resolved Hundreds of Injury Death and Property Damage Claims in Northern California Mass Tort Event Against Utility
- Successfully Resolved Billion Dollar Claim in Australia Against Design Professional
- Successfully Resolved Suit of National Significance Against Major League Baseball Team and Players
- Successfully Resolved Catastrophic Property Claim Against The State of Alaska
- Successfully Resolved Mass Tort Incident in Washington
- Successfully Resolved Alaska Mass Tort Incident
- Prevailed in International Coverage Dispute
Consumer Finance Posts
- TechAssure’s International Members’ Conference, Baden, Baden Germany
- Presentation at The 8th Annual Bermuda Insurance Market Conference on “CA Wildfires and Inverse Condemnation”
- Severson & Werson’s Construction/Insurance Presentations to the London Market
- Corporate America Selects Michael B. Murphy to Join the Corporate America Legal Elite of 2015
- Corporate America Crowns Severson & Werson as Insurance Team of the Year for California
- AI Dispute Resolution Top 50 Awards Michael B. Murphy and Severson & Werson: “Best for Professional Liability Cases – USA”, 2015