Joel Halverson is a trial lawyer and transactional counselor adept at resolving clients’ legal problems and guarding them against losses. He focuses his practice in the areas of professional liability, construction, and real property.
In the construction and design arenas, Mr. Halverson represents design professionals, contractors, owners and contractors in claims as well as transactional and risk-management counseling. A member of Severson & Werson’s Construction and Insurance Groups, Mr. Halverson has been named among the “Best Lawyers in the Bay Area” for construction litigation based on a survey conducted by Bay Area Lawyer Magazine. Mr. Halverson is a frequent presenter and lecturer on legal topics and has made appearances as a legal analyst on KRON 4 News, San Francisco.
Mr. Halverson has over twenty years of significant experience in ADR and as a neutral, having settled numerous civil disputes involving a wide variety of substantive issues through mediation, as Settlement Conference Officer with the San Francisco Superior Court and as Settlement Panelist with the Marin County Superior Court. Mr. Halverson is available to privately mediate civil disputes of all sizes and complexities.
Mr. Halverson is active in a number of professional organizations, including the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) and the Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California (ADC).
Mr. Halverson joined Severson & Werson in 1996 and has been a member of the Firm since 2002. He obtained his J.D. (1994) from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, and his B.A. (1990), cum laude, from Pomona College.
Areas of Practice
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., cum laude 1994
- Pomona College, B.A., cum laude, 1990
- Defense Judgment Obtained In Products Liability Trial Involving LDPE Piping
- Favorable Settlement In Elder Abuse Case
- Favorable Settlements In Geotechnical Cases
- Favorable Settlement In High Profile Action Against MLB Team
- IPD Contract Negotiation
- Design/Build Contract Negotiation
- Defense Judgment Obtained For Insurer In Coverage Litigation
- Defense Judgment Obtained For Architect In Wrongful Death / Mold Case
- Defense Judgment Obtained For Mechanical Contractor In SB 800 Action
- Judgment Obtained At Trial On Contract Claim For Engineer
- Defense Award Obtained In Professional Negligence Arbitration For Engineer
- Defense Judgment Obtained For Engineer In Professional Negligence Action Involving LNG Plant
- Defense Judgment Obtained For Law Firm In Professional Negligence Action
- Defense Judgment Obtained In Professional Negligence Trial For Land Surveyor
- Defense Judgment Obtained In Products Liability Trial
- Wins Unanimous Defense Verdict in Medical Malpractice Action
- Halverson, J. L. (October 2015). “The Design Professional as Advocate in Construction Claims Processes: Is This the Wild West?”
- Halverson, J. L. (January 2015). “California Court of Appeal Holds Economic Loss Rule Bars Indemnity and Contribution Claims against Professional Engineering Firm”. E-Alert
- Halverson, J. L. (January 2004). “Abolition of Standard of Care in Residential Design? Study of SB 800’s Impacts on Design Professionals”. Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice © ASCE
- Halverson, J. L. (June 18, 2013). “A Victory for the Freedom of Contract, at Least for Sophisticated Parties”
- Halverson, J. L. (December 19, 2012). “A ‘Beacon’ of Hope for Purchasers of Real Property, at the Expense of Design Professionals”
- Joel L. Halverson Presents Seminar on Contract Negotiations
- Severson & Werson’s Construction Practice Group Presents, “Limitations of Liability: The Real, The Imagined, The Many!”
- Joel L. Halverson Presented at FEWA National Conference
- Joel L. Halverson Lectured on Tactics for the Construction Professional’s Close of a Favorable Contract at WESTCON