For over 30 years, Duane has been a commercial lending lawyer experienced in all aspects of the creditor-debtor relationship with creative solutions to transactional and loan restructuring arrangements and vigorous litigation enforcing creditors' rights and bankruptcy disputes.
Duane Geck has been a member of Severson & Werson’s Executive Committee since 2012 and has served as the Firm’s Co-Managing Partner. He represents financial institutions in the entire creditor-debtor relationship, including documentation of commercial loan transactions, debt restructuring, litigation to enforce creditors’ rights, and bankruptcy disputes.
Duane has extensive experience in the automobile finance industry having represented lenders in their relations with dealers including documenting wholesale lending agreements and real estate secured loans, working out defaults, and litigating to enforce rights after default and defending claims by borrowers. Duane’s expertise in secured lending matters includes a specialization in Uniform Commercial Code related collateral and real estate secured lending.
Duane served as Vice Chair of the Uniform Commercial Code Committee of the State Bar of California during the revisions to Article 9 of the U.C.C. He has lectured about Article 9, secured lending, and lender rights and strategies after loan defaults before the California State Bar, the California Bank Counsel Seminar, the San Francisco Bar Association, and the San Francisco Bank Attorneys. Duane has been a speaker for the National Business Institute (“Bankruptcy in California” and “Commercial Lending in California”), and Lorman Education Services. Duane also served as Chair of the Creditors’ Rights Subcommittee of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association.
Duane joined Severson & Werson in 1984 and became a Member in 1992. Since 2009 he has been recognized as a Northern California “Super Lawyer” and he is Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent-rated.
Areas of Practice
Creditors’ Rights & Bankruptcy
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., 1984
- Colgate University, B.A., 1981
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rated
- Defend Mortgage Warehouse Lender
- Prepare Mortgage Warehouse Lending Contracts
- Manage Litigation Resulting Sale and Settlement of Real Estate Project Secured by Mello-Roos Bonds
- Prepare Commercial Lending Contracts for Private Label Financing
- Represent Lender in FDIC Receivership
- Prepare Commercial Lending Contracts for Purchase Money Security Interests
- Negotiate and Prepare Commercial Lending Agreement Secured by Mortgage Loans
- Negotiate and Prepare Workout and Forbearance Agreements
- Litigate and Defend Lender Liability Claims
- Obtain Favorable Jury Verdict in Major Patent Trial
- “Lender Liability” Damage Claims by a Failed Auto Dealer Group