"My specialty is coverage and my single professional goal, and my passion is to help my clients find and negotiate the most practical path to resolution."
Ms. Ruettgers joined Severson & Werson’s San Francisco-based Insurance Law Group in June 2015, bringing more than a decade of insurance coverage experience. Before joining Severson, Ms. Ruettgers was a named partner at a boutique specialty coverage firm in the Bay Area.
Whether in the context of “bet the company” catastrophic product claims, complex business disputes, multi-district litigation matters, or class actions, Ms. Ruettgers is adept at navigating the nuances of specialty lines policies on behalf of her carrier clients in litigation and non-litigation contexts. Such specialty lines include those specifically affording coverage for pollution, and to public entities, contractors, and educational facilities, as well as for emerging risks such as technology, privacy and cybersecurity, and autonomous vehicles. Combined with her background in Coverage B, Excess, Professional, and Directors & Officers lines, this breadth of experience is frequently invaluable in the context of so-called “Package Policies,” which blend traditional and non-traditional coverages into a single form.
Ms. Ruettgers’ clients universally value her responsiveness, quick turnaround, and capacity to jump into the fray on a moment’s notice. Understanding the high costs and anxiety involved in both litigated and non-litigated matters, Ms. Ruettgers always seeks out the most effective path to press forward quickly toward disposition or settlement.
Ms. Ruettgers is a member of the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), the Defense Research Institute (DRI), where she is on the Insurance Law and Toxic Torts & Environmental Law Committees, and the American Bar Association (ABA), where she participates in the Science & Technology Section and serves on the Artificial Intelligence & Robotics and Information Security Committees.
Ms. Ruettgers received a B.A. in Political Science from the U.C. Santa Barbara, where she participated on the crew and equestrian polo teams and received her J.D. from U.C. Hastings in 1999. Currently, Ms. Ruettgers enjoys living in the Bay Area where she is proud to serve on the host committee for Legal Services for Children. Ms. Ruettgers is admitted to practice in the State of California, including all of the Federal District courts. In addition to a nationwide coverage practice, Ms. Ruettgers has litigated coverage matters (pro hac vice) in Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Oregon, Nevada, and Washington.
Areas of Practice
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 1999
- University of California, Santa Barbara, B.A., 1995
- Successful Motion to Dismiss (ILU and Lloyd’s)
- Obtained Positive Terms in Resolving $1 Billion+ Fire Claim
- Negotiated $0 Pay Resolution of Toxic Tort Claims
- Successful MSJ on Exhaustion Upheld on Appeal
- Forum Battle Leads to Published 11th Circuit Decision
- New California Supreme Court Authority on Coverage Side B Claims
- Resolution of Lost Policy Issues
- MSJ Used to Obtain Most Favorable Per Unit Settlement
- MSJ Forges Path to $0 Settlement
- Defensive MSJ Granted On Unique Language
- Coverage Litigation Leads to 75% of Limits Recovery
- Offensive MSJ Granted Leading to Full Policy Limit Contribution