Elizabeth is an Associate in Severson & Werson’s Appellate Practice Group. Fiercely dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in writing and advocacy, she strives to provide sound legal advice while always placing her clients’ needs at the forefront.
Elizabeth Holt Andrews has been an attorney at the Firm’s San Francisco office since 2010. Ms. Andrews has extensive experience defending businesses and financial institutions against consumer and class actions in state and federal court at all levels. She has briefed and argued numerous cases in the California appellate courts and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, as well as Superior Courts and Federal District Courts throughout California. She is admitted to practice before all state and federal courts in California and North Carolina, as well as the United States Supreme Court.
Ms. Andrews maintains the Firm’s appellate blog, the California Appellate Tracker. The blog is regularly updated with case summaries of the most important legal developments affecting the Firm’s clients, with an emphasis on financial services, construction, insurance, and business. Ms. Andrews also maintains an active professional Twitter account under the handle @eandrews3706.
Before joining Severson & Werson, Ms. Andrews served as a law clerk to the Honorable Richard Seeborg in United States District Court for the Northern District of California, San Francisco Division. She has also held clerkships on various state and federal courts in North Carolina, including the North Carolina Supreme Court.
A native of Leelanau County, Michigan, Ms. Andrews earned her law degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she served as Articles Editor of the North Carolina Law Review and Chief Justice of the Law School Honor Court. Upon graduation in 2004, she was named a member of the Davis Society—the highest honor afforded to graduates—on the basis of outstanding integrity, leadership, dedication, and service.
Ms. Andrews did her undergraduate work at the College of William and Mary, where she earned a B.A. magna cum laude in philosophy and was a member of the crew team. A former world champion sailor, Ms. Andrews still enjoys racing sailboats on San Francisco Bay in her spare time.
Areas of Practice
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, J.D., 2004
- The College of William & Mary, B.A., magna cum laude, 2000
- North Carolina
- United States Supreme Court
- Successful Settlement of High-Exposure Post-Foreclosure Lawsuit
- Successful Third Party Subpoena Defense
- Successful Jury Trial in Patent Lawsuit in Northern District of California (San Francisco Division)
- Oral Argument in California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Division 1 (San Diego)
- Favorable Decision in California Court of Appeal, Sixth District (San Jose)
- Favorable Decision in California Court of Appeal, Third District (Sacramento)
- Favorable Decision in California Court of Appeal, Second District (Los Angeles)
- Favorable Decision in California Court of Appeal, First District (San Francisco)
- Favorable Ninth Circuit Decision for Bank Defendant
- Obtain Favorable Jury Verdict in Major Patent Trial
- SW Summer 2018 Newsletter
- Kemp, E. & Holt Andrews, E. (Spring 2017). “Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. v. Superior Court: Will California Be the New Forum of Choice For Nationwide Class Actions?”. SideBar
- Holt Andrews, E. (April 2017). “FWSF Partners with the Asia Society and the Cal-Asia Business Council to Present Speaker Panel on Business in China”. Financial Women of San Francisco
- Holt Andrews, E. (February 2017). “Financial Women Sponsors Fireside Chat at the Schwab Center”. Financial Women of San Francisco Newsletter
- Holt Andrews, E. (2017). “Are Foreclosure Trustees Considered Debt Collectors? Not In the Ninth Circuit”. Consumer Finance Report
- Holt Andrews, E. (Fall, 2011). “The Increasing Unfairness of the Unfair Competition Law in California”. CMBA Legal News